During the month of May, I had the joy of welcoming the Koschmann family to Israel and, with the help of Rhoda, showing them the sites in Galilee and Jerusalem. We even got to Sussita, climbing it twice in one day. (With the paved path and steps, the hike is a lot easier.) One of the products of spending a lot of time in Israel, as I have done over the years, is the “normalization” of many sites. It is refreshing to be with folks full of wonder at it all. Indeed, the land, and the stories that took place her, are wonderful. Sharing them is a blessing. In many ways, this family became our family.
Dr. Mark Schuler
Posts by Dr. Mark Schuler:
It was my pleasure to address the Mekane Yesus Seminary in Addis Ababa at the inaugural lecture series for the Rev. Dr. Yonas Deressa Research Center on 26-28 April 2023. This center will become the locus for new PhD programs in Biblical Studies, Biblical Languages, and Theological Studies to be offered by the seminary beginning in another year.
Under the topic of “Apostolicity in the Church,” I delivered three plenary lectures: “The First Apostles,” “After the Apostles,” and “Apostles Today.” Of particular focus for this series is the use of to title of “apostle” and claims of apostolic authority in many African Independent Churches.
I am hopeful that my work was beneficial for the church and set the stage for rigorous scholarship among coming generations of church leaders in Ethiopia.
Sam Deressa and I are pleased to announce the publication of Vol. 1, No. 1 of the new Global South Theological Journal at https://gstjournal.org.
Five articles make up the first issue:
- Ibrahim Bitrus, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, A “Living Dead” In Africa
- Gerd Decke, Gudina Tumsa and Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Ezekiel Gebissa, The Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY) Between Indigeneity and Globalism: Re-Measuring Growth,
- Re-Visioning Mission, Recasting Leadership
- Darrell Jodock, Gudina Tumsa’s Contributions to Theology
- Gemechu Olana, An Empowering and Reconciling Presence: Public Ministry in The Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus: A Brief Historical Perspective Review with Some Prospective Remarks
All articles are in English, but we have built in capability to use Google Translate for reading the articles in other languages.
Editorial and Publication
- Samuel Deressa, PhD, Concordia University, Saint Paul, MN, USA, editor
- Mark Schuler, ThD (emeritus), Concordia University, Saint Paul, MN USA, managing editor
- Bruk Ayele, PhD, Mekane Yesus Seminary, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Ibrahim Bitrus, PhD, Federal College of Education, Yola, Nigeria
- Suzanne Hequet, PhD (emerita), Concordia University, Saint Paul, MN, USA
- Julius Kiambi Kithinji, PhD, St. Paul University, Limuru, Kenya
- Pum Za Mang, PhD, Myanmar Institute of Theology, Yangon, Myanmar
- Misgana Mathewos, PhD, Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Detlev Schulz, PhD , Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN, USA
This open-source digital journal is published by the Department of Theology and Ministry at Concordia University, Saint Paul, with assistance of a grant from the Hoffmann Initiatives. It is distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International licensing (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0).
I am pleased to announce that I have been appointed as an associate fellow at the W. F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research in Jerusalem for 2022-2023.
My project is titled the Archaeology and History of Christianity at Hippos. Specifically, I will be testing and refining a method proposed by Bernard Mulholland for assessing the architectural design of and changes to Late Antique church structures and then applying that model to the excavated structures at Hippos. This work expands on the article I wrote for Michmanim (27:18-28).
In addition, I will use time in Israel to meet with colleagues from the Hippos Excavation to plan a book-length project on archaeological, liturgical and regional information from the Late Antique period at Hippos and its implications for the history of Christianity at the site.
Specific details are still being arranged.
Celebrating St. Matthew and the 500th anniversary of the “September Testament” with friends at the Lutheran Diaconal Association, Valparaiso, IN.